Help Me! I’m an Ice Cream-oholic!
I scream, you scream, we all scream for ice cream! My addiction to ice cream started with the yummy homemade peach ice cream my dad made in those old crank ice cream makers. Then, my dad enabled more love when after church each Sunday night, he’d take me to the nearby convenience store and buy me a chocolate fudgesicle. My addiction intensified when my parents gave me a quarter to buy ice cream from the ice cream man and his truck that regularly rolled through my neighborhood. It’s their fault that I fell into an ice cream world of DELIGHT!
You might know you’re an ice cream-oholic if:
1. You know all kinds of flavors from many different brands.
2. No season or sickness can stop you from having it.
3. You don’t fuss over what to eat for dessert, because you already know it’s ice cream.
4. Sometimes, you substitute meals with ice cream.
5. Your fridge might run out of any food item, but it’ll always have ice cream.
6. Your local ice cream shop owner knows what your favorite flavor is, and will generally keep it in stock.
7. You eat ice cream when you’re happy, unlike the others who eat it when they’re sad.
8. You have tried the craziest ice cream combinations (French fries and ice cream, pickles and ice-cream anyone?)
9. You try out local ice creams when you travel. (Gelato in Rome is to write home about!)
10. And finally, you know that when your day has been rather humdrum, there’s always ice cream waiting for you back home.
My son has loved Braum’s Chocolate Almond Ice Cream ever since he lived in Oklahoma. When he’s lived in other states and would come back home to us in Oklahoma or Texas, it was always a MUST DO – to get his favorite ice cream. (Braum’s stores are all within 300 miles of their home store in Tuttle, OK) So in pondering what I could get him for this year’s birthday, my lightning-fast-mind remembered this “love” of his and how I could create a mutual lovefest! I purchased some dry ice and loaded up my cooler with 8 tubs of Braum’s Chocolate Almond Ice Cream, plus cones and a Braum’s ice cream scooper. Of course, I made his gift givers’ A-List!
Anyone who’s experienced pangs of hunger and cravings when looking at an ice cream cone can attest that the sugary, creamy treat is near irresistible. And it’s not just because our bodies, and taste buds, have evolved to crave sugar on regular basis. When you break down the chemistry behind ice cream, it’s easy to see why: It’s been engineered to the perfect combination of elements — sugar, fat, frozen water, and air — that make up the mouthwatering concoction.
Ice cream is underrated — just look at the benefits:
1. Ice cream can last weeks and even months in the freezer and can be enjoyed time and time again.
2. Ice Cream goes with everything.
3. Ice Cream soothes sore throats.
4. Ice Cream cools you down on these scorching hot days.
5. Ice Cream brings you back to your childhood. (Note my comments above. I left one thing off — those graham crackers & a slab of chocolate ice cream in the school cafeteria!)
I’ve never outgrown the DELIGHT of ice cream, though I’ve curbed my addiction. By now, you’re probably thinking “I know somewhere in here Donna has a devotional for us”!! And I do!
The Psalmist David wrote in Psalm 119:103 “How sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth!” And in Psalm 34:8 he wrote, “Taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him.”
The question is “Do our eyes light up in delight when we hear God’s Words like these I just quoted? Do our eyes also light up in delight when we hear the name of Jesus or when we share His love with someone else? Or has it become a ho-hum routine love affair and the wonder is gone?”
Oh, that we would be addicted to our Lord and spiral out-of-control with our love for Him — to delight in His presence and rejoice in His love. And, then, with that fresh, new love to spread the Good News to light up someone else’s life. May we DELIGHT in our Savior and then share the light of His love–a smile, a word of encouragement, a hug — and yes, a bowl of ice cream, too!